It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:24 pm

PS3 and .rmvb files 

Post PS3 and .rmvb files
Is there anything I can do to help my PS3 play .rmvb files?

While trying to watch a show of .rmvb format from my computer (Streaming it to my PS3 using Orb), after about a minute and a half a message will come up saying "Orb did not find a suitable codec installed on your home PC to stream this file. Please go to www.orb.com/codecs to download free Orb-compatible codecs." At the bottom, it says:

File extension: rmvb
Error #0x800004005: Unspecified error

I can hear the file playing in the background (the intro music), but I get no visual, just this error message. I could convert, but I wanna watch the whole show on my TV, and it will take a while to convert all these episodes. When I went to the website requested, it said I had to download the Real Alternative codec onto my PC (I don't have Realplayer anymore, I use VLC). If I download this codec, will I be able to stream the .rmvb files to my PS3? Thanks!

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:36 pm
Power User

Post Re: PS3 and .rmvb files
Quote:
If I download this codec, will I be able to stream the .rmvb files to my PS3?
Yes, you should be able to stream those files after installing Real Alternative codec or Klite code pack.

If problem persists, please revert with more details like Orb version, OS, etc.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Ok I installed the Real Alternative codec and now the video starts! But then after like 5 seconds, the sound will stop, and then after like two seconds, the video will stop as well. Any recommendations? I've also noticed under all of the videos I'm trying to play it says 2:00'00", which isn't the correct length of the videos.

My OS is Vista Home Premium, SP2, I have Orb 2.01.0049 and I pretty much only use Orb to try and stream to my PS3/360. I use a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G2 V.1.4 I think) connected to my apartment's ethernet for wireless to my girl's computer, PS3, and Wii.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 am
Power User

Thanks for the details. I would suggest you to install the latest version of Orb 2.54.0018 and revert with your results.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:19 am

Alright, the video will stream now, thanks!

Minor problem though, sometimes the video gets choppy or lags. Is there any way to improve this issue?

Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:32 pm
Power User

Quote:
Sometimes the video gets choppy or lags
Sorry, streaming and its quality depends on various factors please read this article for more details: Why am I experiencing audio or video "stuttering" and "choppiness" when streaming in Orb?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 am

Not sure how you got real player on a ps3, but if you can get any program on there, you might be able to use mpcstar for rmvb files At the moment it is not possible not play .rmvb files on the PS3. But seeing that the open source Media Player Classic has it implemented on Windows, I don't see why the PS3 would not be capable of playing it. Really it's just up to Sony what their platform can and can not play.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:29 pm