It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:04 am

Why are AVI videos listed as "Live" on my share? 

Post Why are AVI videos listed as "Live" on my share?
I'm new to Orb. I'm streaming my videos to my iPhone. I noticed that my AVI files come up as "Live" and cannot be skipped ahead in the file. Meanwhile my WMV files show the length of the video and allow me to skip ahead when watching the file.

99.9% of my videos are AVIs. Do I need to convert them all to WMVs?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:32 am
Orb Networks

No need to convert your .avi files to WMVs

Are you able to view the thumbnails of your .avi files via OrbLive and Mycast (on your Orb PC)?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:09 am

I think I understand now. Once Orb process my files in it's database (?), I am able to see the length of time and skip ahead. That's the good news.

Now the bad news. I checked my configuration and all my media folders are still present. However, now when I go to Orb on my iPhone (or via MyCast), none of my shares are showing up. Audio and Photo are showing no folders or library items. Video is showing one (1) of my six (6) shared folders. They were all available last night. I'm so confused!

Thanks for your help.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 am

Oh, and the direct answer to your question was that I could only see the thumbnails of the WMVs, not the AVIs. But maybe they just take longer to process. However, like I said, I cannot access my shared folders any more (?!).

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:48 am

OK, using OrbLive I was able to restart Orb on my computer and after a few minutes all of my folders returned! :)

Is there a way to do this through the website (Mycast)? That way if I'm at a remote computer and the same problem arrises, I can just restart my Orb at home and hopefully resolve the problem.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:05 am

Okay, one last thing. I'm sort of back to my original problem. When I play an AVI on my iPhone, it's now showing the time slider. But if I grab it and try to move ahead in the video, I get the swirly for a minute and then it stops playing the video. If I attempt the same thing on a WMV version of the same file, no problem at all. I'm back to wondering about converting to WMVs. :(

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:16 am

I am having the same issue. Most of my video files both avi and mp4's are displayed as "live" and therefore I am unable to seek. I can view my thumbnails. Not sure why the videos are coming up as live. Thanks for the help.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Can someone please help me on my most of my videos show up as "live". Some of them don't and so I am able to skip and seek, but the majority are displayed as "live" which makes it unable to seek.

Thanks for the help

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:55 pm

Post same problem here
upgraded to the new orblive yesterday and now all my avis are listed as "live" with no seek capability.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:25 pm
Orb Networks

all my avis are listed as "live" with no seek capability.

It means that Orb has not completed indexing your media. You will have to wait for some time so that Orb can update your Orbmedia database.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:07 am

I have a similar problem. Some of my MP4's seem to index while others don't. I've had ORB running for days at a time and it still hasn't indexed the files it doesn't seem to want to.

I took a couple of files, one that it had indexed properly and one that it hadn't, and renamed them and had ORB rescan the folder. Now, after many hours, both are not indexed and both will only play as "Live".

Does anyone know a way to tell ORB to specifically reindex a file?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:43 am

Yes, mine has been on for a few days and the avi's are still not indexing. The whole collection was indexed until I upgraded to the new orblive. I upgraded to the new PC client and it didn't fix anything.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm

Post I figured it out!
alright to make your videos not show up as "live" click on the video then go down to the bottom and click change thumbnail. then a screen will pop up asking you where you want to get the thumbnail from. say extract from video. when you do that your video will not be live anymore. i have no idea why it works. also you can change your thumbnail back afterwords. although i am still haveing trouble changing three thumbnails that wernt changed before.

hope it helps

Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:29 pm

The "extract from video" trick didn't work for me. Anyone else solve this problem yet?

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05 am

It appears to have worked for me. My videos no longer come up as live. I haven't tried to seek yet on my iphone, but hopefully that will work now. Thanks for the help.

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:01 am