It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 am

Orb towork with PSP 
Post Orb towork with PSP
With the release of Firmware version 2.0 for the PSP - we now have access to a web browser. I can log on to Orb - see all my files. But the only thing I can really use is the Photos tab. Is there any way for Orb to stream audio or video to the PSP.

That alone would be the best thing ever for PSP users.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:04 pm
Power User

Orb cannot stream Audio or Video to PSP if it does not have a media player with streaming capability. Orb sends a stream: if the player does not know what to do with it, there's nothing Orb can do to remedy that.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:21 pm

Post Why doesn't Orb just allow for the download of music/video
I would love to be able to use Orb with my PSP. However, the PSP cannot stream. If Orb allowed users to download music/video files I could have access to all my PSP files and just download them to my memory card.

Will Orb add this ability? They have done it with picture but why not with video and music? Seems like an easy thing to add.

Thanks.

Vulture

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:11 am
Power User

The development of this functionality is in the works and should be available within a few weeks.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:03 am

Can you explain what this functionality will be exactly? Are you developing 1) a way to stream video to the PSP? or 2) a way to download the actual video files directly to the PSP?

I am personally hoping for the first one because that would mean that I could enjoy all of my media wherever I go, without the need for a high capacity, expensive memory stick.

If it is the second, it would still be very useful but much more difficult. You would need a big memory stick and only be able to hold a couple of videos. You would also only be able to play .mp4 videos, as that is the only video format supported.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Power User

Are you developing 1) a way to stream video to the PSP? or 2) a way to download the actual video files directly to the PSP?

It is 2).
As mentionned above: there's nothing much we can do if the device does not have a media player with streaming capabilities (other than building a player compatible for all platforms and devices, which is unlikely at this point).

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:36 pm

I mainly want the ability to download my mp3s to my PSP and save pictures, and of course video d/l support as well.

keep up the great work, you have made an awesome program

Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:14 am

Sony just released update 2.5 for the PSP in North America. It features support for Sony's Locationfree player. If I'm not mistaken, this type of player (that you install in your home) is used to stream media that can be picked up by the PSP. Could this in fact enable streaming through Orb?

Sony being Sony, they want us to buy that 350$ hardware (the player) but there,s got to be a way to bypass this?

Thanks
Phil

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:01 pm

This it the million dollar question for anyone that uses orb and has a PSP. With the release of firmware 2.5 it might be possible to stream video. I will update my PSP to 2.5 in the morning and post a follow-up on my results.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:04 am

I can view photos quite happily but if I try to view video or listen to audio I asked whether I want to save the streaming Real player file.

I looked in tools and Windows Media and 3gp were not selected, just Real Player was selected.

I guess the problem here is that the MyOrb portal doesn't know about the media player running on the PSP and mistakenly serves up Real Player format. Also, I'm not sure thet the PSP browser supports streaming. The LocationFree update seems to add a new application to the menu so it may be only in that app that streaming is supported.

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:26 pm

What player do you have on your PSP?
If Orb doesn't detect 3GP you can force it in Tools. What happens then when you stream?

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:36 pm

I just have the inbuilt media player. There is no 3rd party media player available (to my knowledge) unless you go down the hacking route to run 'homebrew' applications.

Normally the PSP plays MP4 files but these have to conform to a particular naming standard and reside below a particular folder on the memory stick. I don't know if the naming restrictions also applies to the browser.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:54 am

it's definitely doable because u can now stream with psp 2.5 firmware upgrade, given "location-free" home base.

WE HAVE 5million users and another 5million users to come before end of the year. 10 million(US alone)might not be a big number comparing to laptop users and cell phone users. But the percentage of teens&young professionals/tech savy geeks/coffee shop hogging bums/gadget showoff freaks are the highest of all, and these people are, of course, your targeted market group, your most enthusiastic and loyal fan base, and your best bet when the service becomes fee based.

Of course dont under estimate our group's blogging power, which is nowadays becoming the most effective way of advertisement. It's just a matter of time until someone comes out with something for us. But if it were u guys, I'd say SONY's got serious competition this time. BYE BYE location-free

Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:29 pm

Post It's not ORB it's Sony that has to make changes.
The PSP would have to have a media player that can play WMF, Real or 3GP streams broadcast by ORB. ORB doesn't make Media Players Sony would have to make this happen on the PSP by making their media player functional with the formats that ORB broadcast.

Understand?

Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:07 am

Post location-free
I'll try it too because no one really tired and updated by posting.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:29 pm